Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Baby Office

Most people are surprised when they learn that I can take Keaton to work with me until he is six months old. I also had Cate with me at work until she was just about six months old. There are certainly some challenges to it, but people seem mostly interested in what kind of baby equipment you must have at work to make everything go smoothly. Honestly, it doesn't take much. As long as you have two good arms, most everything else is an added plus :)

I took a few quick snapshots of my office. I am fortunate to have a nice sized office. I could probably squeeze more stuff in, like a pack-and-play or something like that, if I really needed it. But I get by with Keaton's car seat, a changing mat on the floor, a portable swing I bought on eBay and a play gym. I have a stash of other toys for him including a few rattles and some teething toys that co-workers bought for him. He hangs out with me in my office (they were nice enough to supply some curtains for my interior windows) and he goes to most of my meetings with me, unless he's napping.

There is certainly no shortage of people to hold him. My office requires that I designate two people to be "baby helpers" so that I have backup support when necessary. Fortunately, it's not hard to find someone to hold a baby when I need some help. Our assistant, Winona, is terrific with Keaton and she holds me when I need to run to the bathroom or something like that.

Here are a few photos of my baby-ready office.


This is a photo from the door of my office.


This is my view from my desk.


Keaton's car seat and the changing pad I have for him. I had just changed him when I took this photo. He was happy just laying on the floor, so I let him play there for a few minutes.


Keaton's play gym. He particularly likes the mirror on it. I think he wonders who that really good looking baby is.


I bought this portable swing on eBay when I was bringing Cate to work. It folds up very nicely, so it's easy to transport. Keaton likes to nap and hang out in the swing, so this is really perfect for him.

No comments: